The study area is located in Lashkargah, the capital of Helmand province at south western part of Afghanistan, between 662500 m E, 3600000 m N, 672500 m E, 3555000 m N and 677500 m E, 3580000 m N, and center of the project is about 90 km far away on the north east of Lashkargah city.
The project started on November 2020 and was completed on February 2021.
The project started on January 2019 and the work due to security issues stopped on April 2019. The work again started on April 2020 and the project completed on December 2020.
The project contained geological, engineering geology and geotechnical characteristics of Musa Qala Dam Project. These studies have been performed under the contract concluded between 77 Construction USA Corp Company and the Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock, and Omran Geotechnic Company as a subcontractor.
In general, Musa Qala Dam Project comprises a water conveyance system including a dam and canals. The project has aimed to supply water and develop the farmlands located in Musa Qala, Helmand, Afghanistan.
The main purposes of Helmand River Basin Development project were as follows:
1) Detail design of Musa Qala Dam Project, Left Main Canal (LMC), secondary and tertiary canals, extension of new irrigation system and improvement plan for existing irrigation system.
2) Detail design of Structures for controlling water for irrigation and ground water recharge between Kajaki dam catchment and Musa Qala Catchment for natural streams and main, secondary and tertiary canals.
Summary of Field Works in Musa:
- 35 boreholes Dam Axis area and belonging structures.
- 8 test pits were excavated at the administration buildings area of Musa Qala Dam,
- Four test pits were excavated on the access road area.
- 8 test pits excavated For each borrow site
- For one borehole, Lefranc test has been performed in different stages
- Lugeon Test
- Standard Penetration Testing conducted for all boreholes
- Rock Quality Designation Test
- Field Density Test